Summertime blackberries are such a treat! Our blackberry "patch" is overflowing right now, and in an effort to eat as many as possible, I've been looking up some different ways to use them. This salad is so, so, so simple and easy. It's perfect for a hot summer day, and it took me less than 10 minutes to throw it all together...
A word on ingredients... Good food shouldn't be complicated, and it all starts with fresh ingredients. Fresh and local blackberries are best for this recipe, since the blackberries are the star of this salad. Using store bought blackberries is risky, as they can tend to be way too tart. If you don't grow your own, try your local farmer's market.
As far as the serving sizes go, I make this as a complete meal so take that into consideration when you're looking at the ingredients list. If you're just going to make this as a side salad, you can easily half the recipe, or use it "as is" for 4 side salads. On the other hand, if you are feeding a group, you can easily multiply the portions.
Serves: 2 (Complete Meal Portion) or 4 (Side Salad Portion)
1 Cup Fresh Blackberries, washed and ready
4 Cups Fresh Spinach, washed and ready
1/4 Cup Feta Cheese, Crumbled
1/3 Cup Slivered Almonds
Tiny dash of thinly sliced onion
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
Salt and Pepper
• First, make the dressing. Combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and a little salt and pepper (to taste) in a small bowl and whisk until well mixed.
• Combine the spinach, feta, almonds, and onion in a large bowl and toss with the dressing until evenly coated.
• Divide onto plates and top with blackberries last.
• That's it. EAT!
• Walnuts instead of almonds
• Add chicken or bacon. Or both. :)
• Use green onions instead of thinly sliced onion
• I paired this with a dry Riesling from Germany and it was delicious. Another option that would hold up well to the acidity in this salad is a Picpoul de Pinet from France (which may be a little easier to find, depending on where you live). Cheers!
Thank you for reading!! Sign up for my free Monthly Newsletter here, and follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube:
Hi, I'm Blake. I love adventure, cooking, costume parties, wine, yoga, and reading...in that order. Follow my blog for yoga stuff, fitness tips, & healthy recipes...
• The Meaning of Namaste
• Confessions of a Self Care Hypocrite
• Living In The Age Of Social Media: Swapping Comparison for Gratitude
• My Exercise Manifesto
• 4 Exercise Hacks To Get YOU Moving